Tuesday 28 March 2017

Evaluation: Question 7


Planning: To plan my film opening I decided to create a storyboard which would make it much easier for the filming process, as I already knew all the camera shots and sound I will be implementing. Within the process I have made a lot of progress from the start of the year, for example I made an example of a storyboard then after got feedback on how this should be improved. I then took the feedback and constructed this into the storyboard I did for the film opening as I needed to add more of a summary for the shots and make sure everything flowed correctly. Also during the planning process I researched a range of different camera shots and what meaning they could have in a horror film. For example, a low angle shot could make someone look weak/scared and the other person powerful/scary which is what I used in my film opening.

Equipment: Through equipment I have improved from the start of the year to now, this is because in the prelim planning task I used the schools flip camera which did not have the best camera quality and sound. I also used a normal iphone however the camera wasn’t handled correctly as it was very shaky. I improved as I went from a flip camera and shaky iphone, to the latest iphone with good camera quality and I handled it well by making sure it was balanced on a tripod. This developed my skills in filming as I became better at making sure the camera was still, to make films as good as possible.

Camera skills: From the start of the school year to now my camera skills have improved. This is because at the start, I was only practising basic camera shots/movements such as close up, long shots and panning. However, I researched more into horror films and started to use point of view shots to add a sense of voyeurism as this is conventional within horror films.  


Editing: My editing has improved from the start of the year as it took a while to use the editing software (Premiere Pro) and I did this by using random shots and trying to cut them together to make some sort of storytime. Throughout the year, my cutting skills got better as they became tighter, which in my film opening created tension and pieced the story together perfectly. I also used a green screen, which I had no idea how to use at the start of the year to have blood dripping along the title.


Creating sound for your film: Implementing sound within my filming as improved throughout the year, as I am now able to change the sound levels which I did not know how to do. This means that I am able to make sure the music is loud enough, however you are still able to hear the dialogue in the scene.


Creating an ident: I did an ident for my film opening. I decided to use a well-known company called ‘Blumhouse’ which is known to distribute low-budget horror films. My skills had developed as after research I was able to recognise that low-budget horror films in the film industry use Blumhouse productions which gives the viewer a sense of familiarity.


Creating titles: After practising making titles, my editing skills have drastically improved. This is because towards the start of the year they were quite basic and were not conventional to any genre. This has now changed which is clear in my film opening as I made it red, which is a conventional colour for a horror film, with bold, scary-like font.

Team Work: Working as a team has been quite difficult throughout the process, however it got a lot better towards to the end of the year. For example at the start of the year filming for the prelim task it was hard to get everyone in order and communicate what needs to be done. However whilst filming my film opening I made sure to have a schedule on when everyone should be available (which suited all people) and everyone made sure to say when they didn’t understand something or had a problem. This made the process easy to film and the outcome was better as everyone who was involved in my film was reliable and worked as a team, which was down to good communication and positivity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment